services in hortonville | home | contact

SERVICES IN HORTONVILLE:

Town of Delaware Municipality

Hortonville Presbyterian Church

Hortonville Volunteer Fire Department


Hortonville Volunteer Fire Company

On February 26, 1914, a group of Hortonville residents met at the Hortonville Hotel, known at that time as the Wesley Dorrer Hotel, to organize the Hortonville Volunteer Fire Company. William Gardner, a leader in the community, was elected chairman of the meeting. He stated this company was to be formed for the protection of life and property and was to be composed of dedicated men of the community who would volunteer their time and labor to the cause. The group unanimously elected John Boemer, chief; Philip Hornung, foreman; George W. Buddenhagen, treasurer; August Shambacker, secretary; Lewis Buddenhagen, assistant chief and Adam Newman, assistant foreman.

The first volunteer firemen were: John Bochmer, William Gardner, Frank Fink, William Eller, John Lowe, John Werlau, Arthur Woodman, George Robisch, Wesley Dorrer, William Hartz, Ed Robisch, Frank Roemer, William J. Rosenberger, August Fromm, Ed Faubel and Dewey Hogencamp.

On June 4, 1914, the company received its first call for help from Hotel Iroquois owned by Mrs. Bischoff. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss. The fire bucket brigade was no match for the large fire. Prior to building the firehouse, the fire equipment was stored in the Hortonville Hotel’s barn which still stands and is located across from the post office.

On June 2, 1931, action was taken to start construction of this firehouse on land donated by The Western Sullivan Lot and Land Company, land originally part of the Hardenburg Patent. In August 1932, taxpayers approved the 24 x 30 foot, two-story firehouse for $1,800. This remained the firehouse until 1965 when a larger firehouse was built next door. The firehouse built in 1965 was replaced in 2008 to accommodate for more equipment and members. (The photo in the left column is the original firehouse).

The original firehouse has been home to the Town Hall for the Town of Delaware for over 40 years. This structure is presently the courthouse for the Town of Delaware.

Members who served our country during WWII are shown in this 1946 photo. Front row, from left; Perk Robisch, Harry Lutz, Bill Wood, Joe Boyle, Julius Freyberger and Howard Fink. Back row, from left; Francis Fink, Charles Fisher, Herm Robisch, Don Tate, Bill Fink, Eddie Hessinger and Herm Buddenhagen.

100 Main Street
Hortonville, NY 12745
Tel: (845) 887- 5177
All emergencies CALL 911

Meetings:

Thursdays
Held every Thursday @ 7:00 P.M.at the Firehouse

Annual Events:

Annual Firemen's Field Day
Held last Sunday every August: Parade at NOON on Main Street followed by field day at firemen's field. Food, Games & Live Entertainment.

Annual Firemen's Pancake Breakfasts
Mother's Day at firehouse on a Sunday Serving from 7am-Noon.
Held at firehouse every November on a Sunday Serving from 7am-Noon.

hortonville history | historical photos | birthplace of dr. frederick cook | charles layton was first settler | hamlet named after charles horton

Website by Cindy Herbert | This site is a work in progress...any info or pictures to share, please email me at info@hortonvilleny.com