services in hortonville | home | contact
The Hortonville Public School

Built in 1909 and closed in early 1930's.

This was not the orignal school, the first school built was located at what is now the Hortonville Cemetery.

Still exists.


The Old Post Office Square

General Store built by Charles Horton in 1850.
Henry Gardner purchased this in 1867. He added the first post office here and he became the first postmaster on June 25, 1897. Served until Feb., 19, 1899 and William Gardner served from Feb., 20, 1899 until Jan., 28, 1921. The post office relocated up the road in 1942.

Still exists.

The Hortonville Hotel

In 1872 Nicholas House was proprietor. In 1897, John Wagner owned the hotel. In 1905, George Buddenhagen bought the hotel from John Wagner. The sign on the side reads "Geo. Buddenhagen... Valentine's Beers and Ales"

Demolished

The Old Post Office Square

General Store built by Charles Horton in 1850.
William Gardner purchased this in 1867.
He added the first post office here and he
became the postmaster in 1897.

Still standing. Greek Revival architecture.
Columns were removed in the 1970's.


Oldest Home in Hortonville

Home on left I was told was oldest home in Hortonville. Another house is now there but the original house is still standing right next store. They had moved the house to it's current location. Mr. Bischoff built this home.

The German Reform Church
Now the Presbyterian Church of Hortonville.

Built in 1860

Listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.

The Hortonville Hotel

In 1872 Nicholas House was proprietor. In 1897, John Wagner owned the hotel. In 1905, George Buddenhagen bought the hotel from John Wagner. The sign on the side reads "Geo. Buddenhagen... Valentine's Beers and Ales"

Demolished.


The Hortonville Hotel

Side view of the Hortonville Hotel along
Main Street. Front of building faced
Beechwoods Road.

Demolished.

The Woodman Mill on Main Street

This Mill was located along Main Street
and across from what is now the
Delaware Town Hall. The barn on left was used to house Woodman's horses. This barn was then converted into a feed mill and now is the red apartment building on Main Street.

Mill no longer exists.

View along Main Street


Homes along Main Street in Hortonville
Picture 1913

These homes are still occupied. They were all built for members of the Bischoff family. One home is still occupied by descendants of the Bischoff's.

The Hortonville Band

circa 1891
Bird's Eye View of Hortonville

Old Homestead of George Buddenhagen
He would rent to summer boarder's.

Still exists.

Fishing on the North Branch Creek.
Bridge crossed over the creek from Main Street and North Branch Road (Cty Rte. 121). It was demolished during the 1947 flood and a new bridge was built at a different part of the creek.

Dr. Frederick Cook's Birthplace

Frederick's brother standing in front of their home with the sled he built.

Still exists.


The Woodman Home

The Woodman's built this home and owned the Mill along Main Street.

Still exists.

The Falls and Lake in Hortonville

The falls and lake were demolished during the 1947 flood. The lake was deep enough for row boats. These falls also powered the first electric lights in a few homes in Hortonville. Ice was harvested on this lake to fill ice houses.

The Prospect House

Boarding house operated by
Mrs. Kathleen Buddenhagen. Her family still resides in this home.

Still exists.


View of Main Street, mill on left.
Stone walk in front of Bruder's Hotel.

Location unknown.

The Grange Hall

The Grange Hall was used by farmers in the area for meetings and affairs. In the fall they would show thier produce. The Ladies Aid from the Hortonville Church held luncheons and dinners there for fundraisers.

Still exists.


View of Hortonville.
Hortonville Blacksmith Shop

Jacob Fromm, wagon maker, Henry, Gus and Frederick, blacksmiths ran the shop.

No longer exists.

Stone Arch Bridge in Hortonville

Bridge crossing the North Branch Creek.
It was demolished in the flood of 1947.

Demolished by flood.

The Castle at Hotel Brandt

The towns only castle located in Hortonville.

Only ruins remain.

The Falls and Lake in Hortonville

The building shown on the left side
(not entire building shown) is the Mill that was located on Main Street

No longer exists.

hortonville history | historical photos | birthplace of dr. frederick cook | charles layton was first settler | hamlet named after charles horton

Website by Cindy Herbert | This site is a work in progress...any info or pictures to share, please email me at info@hortonvilleny.com